REVIEW – USD Throne Allstar XV ’98

The USD Throne Allstar XV 98 Skates - throwback to the first Throne skates and still a great choice for any skater, regardless of skill level.

The USD Throne Allstar XV 98 Skates – throwback to the first Throne skates and still a great choice for any skater, regardless of skill level.

For the 2015 USD Spring release, we get an homage to one of the most influential skate designs, in the form of the USD All Star XV ’98.  This skate features all the new features you’d expect from USD, with a throwback color to memorialize the original Throne skates from 1998.

The USD Throne became THE go to skate for much of the community when originally released in 1997 due to two main reasons: fit and customization.  The first generation Throne was constructed with a design that was a blend of Roces, Salomon, and Rollerblade skates that many skaters loved.  At this point in time, there were not many options for aggressive street skaters as most boots had limited lasts.  This lead to skaters preferring different brand’s boots, not specifically because one boot was better, but mainly because the boot just felt better.  This was also before many manufacturers offered separate liners, or even had a separate skate liner available, so even if you really loved a certain boot, it was likely that you wouldn’t skate it because it was not a good fit.  So, back in 1997, this little company called UPSIDEDOWN released a ground breaking skate called the Damocles, one of the first skates with fully interchangeable parts, and had a last that would fit a wide range of skaters.  The next year, they re-branded as USD, and committed to one simple idea: create a skate that not only allowed skaters to customize it the way they wanted, but would fit how they wanted as well.  Enter the Throne…

They've come a long way - On the left, the original Throne as released in 1998.  On the right, the new Allstar XV ' 98, with the blue color to homage it's roots.

They’ve come a long way – On the left, the original Throne as released in 1998. On the right, the new Allstar XV ‘ 98, with the blue color to homage it’s roots.

The Throne boots offered a larger grind surface than current competitor’s boots, a solid cut mold that fit many types of feet.  In it’s first couple years, the Throne boots were released with different variations were used by many pros that not only helped grow the brand, but still continue to shape the industry today.  The Throne boots follow the standard construction of the Throne Classic (which was the original design that started it all), with the change to better grind plates, larger in-step opening, and all the wonderful things that skaters love about the Throne boot.  These changes were so well received that they became main stay in the Throne design, as well as all Throne Pro models, and now every Throne boot or skate provides the same fit platform that launched the design, with all the cool features that made them so sought-after.  Now, 18 years, and over 200 skate models, later, USD gives us a blast from the past with the USD Throne Allstar XV ’98 Skates, a re-imagined take on the first and second series of skates.

The USD Throne All Star XV ' 98 Skates (on the left) and Boots Only (on the right) - Both Available Now at Inline Warehouse!

The USD Throne All Star XV ‘ 98 Skates (on the left) and Boots Only (on the right) – Both Available Now at Inline Warehouse!

The USD Throne Allstar XV ’98 Skates are a tribute to the first series of the Throne design, with not too much changing; a testament to the design that USD worked to perfect.  Of course, new materials and better cuts have all been incorporated, but the general philosophy of the Throne design is still there – full volume boot that fits 75% or more of the skaters that use it, with a high quality liner that features contouring to help the other 25% fit comfortably, with a cuff that blends flexibility and support, as well as large, pre-grooved grind areas.  For this resurrected version, USD included improved liners, as well as a separate, removable tongue guard that allows the skater to adjust the amount of forward flex to their preference.  Outfitted with Kizer Fluid 4 frames in an anti-rocker setup with USD Team Wheels and ABEC5 bearings, the USD Throne Allstar XV ’98 Skates are ready to roll right out of the box for the classic and new generation of skaters.

The USD Throne Allstar XV ‘ 98 Skates are available in the complete skate setup as well as boots only.  In stock and ready to ship at Inline Warehouse!

Comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply